There was an error in this gadget

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Coffee table converted into an Ottoman

This project has been on my to do list for a long time.  If you remember this post you'll know that I have a coffee table with two end tables I purchased off of craigslist for only $25!  I remade the tables into something I love But I needed to bring out some beauty in the coffee table too. 
One thing I don't like about our new living room is that there isn't room for 2 to lay on the couch.  No snuggle time lately, not even for Taylor and I.  It's kind of a bummer.  So I decided there's no time like the present to finally convert the junk catcher (aka coffee table). 
First thing I did, just like the tables, was to sand and paint in white. 




The whole thing doesn't need painted because you wont see the top anyways.  I've been looking for fabric for this project for a long time but everything I've found, that I like anyways, is expensive.  Like $60/yd expensive.   Here's what I was originally thinking of-something similar to this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-c4mHWhgLoHc/T7crfHu4AcI/AAAAAAAABIU/iW9E5rbXNd8/s320/blue+ottoman.jpg
 BUT while buying fabric on Thursday I walked in and was smacked in the face by something I loved! Figuratively smacked of course.  Bonus, it was on sale for $12/yd.

 

I should probably get to the materials:
-old coffee table
-white Rustolium spray paint
-2 yards beautiful fabric
-4 foot section of 3" foam
-quilters batting
-package of buttons
-thread
-Staple gun
-hammer
-scissors

The first thing you want to do is arrange or measure in my case where your buttons will go.  I marked the spots on my foam with a sharpie.  Then I jabbed a steak knife through in each spot and gave it some twists and turns to create holes.  Next I stacked my foam on top of the table and stuck the sharpie through each hole to mark the spots on the table. 

I drilled through each mark. 



Then I dusted off the table and brought it inside.  I stacked the foam on top and covered it with the quilt batting and then the fabric.




Next I started my tufting.  I used 6 strings of thread for each button.  I could have bought some heavy duty thread but I figured this would work just as well.  Next, I pulled the thread through the fabric, batting, foam and pushed it down through the hole in the table with a paint brush handle.  Innovative, I know.  :)

On the bottom I secured each piece with a staple gun and 3-4 staples.  I had my sister help with this part, she pulled the thread back and forth while I stapled.  There's a name for this technique but it escapes me right now.  Here's how each tuft looks from the underside. 


When I was done with all 8 buttons it looked like this:



Time to secure the sides!  We turned it over and I had Makayla (my lil' sis) help hold the fabric tight while I stapled.  When securing fabric in a project like this you want to staple as follows:




When stapling pull the fabric tight and have someone hold it while you staple at each point.  You'll want to turn it over and check along the way to ensure everything is even and you don't have any spots that are too loose or too tight. 


I usually save the corners for last because they're the hardest.  In this instance I pulled one side tight and stapled it down.  then I wrapped the other side all the way around the corner overlapping the first side and tucked in any extra fabric.  I just pulled the crease straight with my fingers and stapled in place. 

Here's it is in our living room. 




Now I can finally put my feet up!


2 comments:

  1. Nice work! That's super cool. I love the fabric. You're so creative to turn a coffee table into an ottoman! I never would have imagined it, but would have put my feet up on it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! Although i cant take credit for tbe idea myself. I've seen similar projects online a few times before :)

      Delete